Monday, January 18, 2010

My dog keeps nipping at my hands and fingers how do I get them to stop? Thanks Bill from KY

My dog keeps nipping at my hands and fingers how do I get them to stop?

I find this being a common problem with almost every puppy.  First lets break it down into why your dog may nip at you, the usual answer is them either trying to get your attention or trying to play with you.  Most people unfortunately she this as a aggressive behavior and get rid of the dog.  You could use Fooey read my other article Fooey vs. Bitter apple .  But I find the best way to stop it without leave a nasty after taste on your hand is to use the gel hand sanitizer and when they start to chew your hand or body part, is to smear the hand sanitizer on that part and let them bite it again and watch their face, it usually only takes a couple times for them to stop nipping but every once in a while you have to remind them.  I did this with my dog and after only 3 times he stopped nipping.

If you want to stop this problem before it becomes a problem check out this e-book by Shannon Emmanuel here's the website.  Choosing the best dog for your kids. Check it out!

No comments: